- The first category is membership as a Sitting/Main Gallery Member. All new artist members will pay a $35.00 fee upon being accepted in the Gallery. Member’s responsibilities include sitting the Gallery one day per month and contribution to the operation of the Gallery by volunteering to perform at least one other job. Sitting Members’ work is eligible to be shown in the main Gallery. Sitting Members are charged 30% commission on all their sales (commission is reduced on a sliding scale to as low as 20% for additional sitting days).
- The second category of artist membership is Gift Member. Members in this category show primarily in the Gift Shop rather than in the main Gallery. Gift Members do not sit the Gallery and are not required to perform other work for the Gallery. They are charged 40% commission on all sales.
The following criteria will inform the jury process:
- The art needs to be professional in execution demonstrating knowledge of and skill in the handling of appropriate techniques.
- Consistent with the look and tone of the Gallery.
- Represents an individualized approach.
- Has commercial potential.
Gallery space is limited, and wall space is in particularly high demand. As a consequence, you may be accepted for membership but you may be placed on a waiting list to show your work. You will be notified when space becomes available.
- All work must be framed, mounted and presented as it will be shown in the Gallery.
- Each work must be clearly marked with your name, address, phone number and email address so we can contact you.
- You must indicate which membership category–sitting or gift shop member–you are applying for.
- You will be notified by mail no later than 3 weeks after submission.
Thank you again for inquiring about membership in the Winthrop Gallery. We look forward to seeing your work.
The Winthrop Gallery Jury Committee